These cute short row peppermint kitchen accessories are quick, cheap and make great gifts.
Once you have the basic short row formula down, be creative. Anything circular can be made as a peppermint. CO 8 and make a tree ornament- or a coaster. CO 36 and make placemats. Use green yarn and make spearmints. When ready to give away, wrap in cellophane and tie each end with two scraps of white yarn.
Finished measurements: 8 ˝ inches
- 1 ball Lily Sugar & Cream Cotton (Length: 120 yd) #00001 White
- 1 ball Lily Sugar & Cream Cotton (Length: 120 yd) #00095 Red
- Size 6 straight knitting needles
- Size G crochet hook
- Joining needle
- Warm & Natural Craft Size 34″ x 45″ 100 % Cotton quilt batting
- Gauge: 10 garter ridges per inch
- With # 6 needles, co 20 of red yarn
- Row 1: K
- Row 2: K to the last 2 stitches, slip next stitch purlwise, move yarn to front, return slipped stitch to left needle, move yarn to back. Turn and K to end.
- Row 3: K to the last 4 stitches, slip next stitch purlwise, move yarn to front, return slipped stitch to left needle, move yarn to back. Turn and K to end.
- Continue in this way until all stitches are knit. Attach white yarn.
- K 2 rows
- Continue with short row pattern as with red stripe.
- Continue in this way until you have 6 red and 6 white stripes, ending with a white stripe. K over all stitches and BO.
With red yarn and needle, weave in and out the inner edge of the peppermint, drawing it together to close the center gap. Tie. Join red and white edge together with mattress stitch. Weave all ends. Block.
M 2 peppermints. Cut 8 inch circle of craft batting and sandwich between both peppermints, joined edges on the inside. Do not align joined edges. With size G crochet hook and white yarn, sc around edge to join.
M1. With size G crochet hook, sc around edge.